Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gratitude

As many of you know, my past few weeks have been consumed with studying for the EPPP (the national psychology licensure exam).  I have devoted nearly every waking, non-working moment I have to tackling this beast in the hope that I can put it behind me before I reach my 3rd trimester of pregnancy. The problem is my waking and non-working moments are fewer and farther between!

However, while I spent this past weekend immersed in psychopharmacology and statistics, an overwhelming sense of gratitude replaced the usual frustration I feel while studying. It began when I heard a ruckus in the next room and found Jeff in there cleaning, packing, hauling, rearrangining, and sweating.  He was laying the ground work for what will become BB's nursery - or, as my mother likes to say, he was "nesting". Although BB is still a few months away from entering the world, Jeff has already proven himself to be an incredibly loving father.  He reads to BB, has been stockpiling his dresser drawers with baby clothes we have been collecting, and just recently, he even purchased a new hat for BB...a matching version of one he already owns. How cute.

The second reason I have been feeling ever so grateful lately is because of the season. I just love this time of year, when fall is still in the air and Christmas is just on the horizon. And now with Baby Bean on the way, I feel that the holidays will be extra special.  Jeff and I have already gotten into the spirit.  With Christmas music playing in the background, Jeff also spent the weekend converting our home from Halloween to Christmas (all while watching football).  I even took a break from my studies to help decorate the tree! In a few days it will be Thanksgiving, and we'll be celebrating with many of our family and friends.  It's times like these when I'm reminded just how lucky I am. 

The final reason for my recent swell of gratitude is because Baby Bean won't let me feel otherwise.  Everytime I get too stressed or too tired, he reminds me what a gift life truly is.  This reminder usually comes in the form of a jab or a kick to my stomach, but I have no complaints.  He has been been moving and wiggling more and more, and seems to be getting stronger by the day. While in my kickboxing class on Saturday, I could swear that BB was coordinating his kicks with mine (perhaps he will be a ninja after all).  Every time I feel him move I smile, thus I am smiling more each day. Jeff has even felt him move many times now. Sharing this with my husband just adds to my joy.

In short, Baby Bean makes me love life, the holidays, family, friends, and Jeff even more - and this is in spite of  me spending so much time with my nose stuffed inside of a book. I can't even imagine how fortunate I will feel after he finally arrives :)  Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings- Eric Hoffer

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.